Saturday, March 20, 2010

Here's the score . . .


Okay, I really don't have a lot of time to do this right now, but I'm doing it anyway, just for a writing outlet if nothing else. (See my "about me," and that part about being an inveterate overachiever.) After all, I can't rely solely on clever Facebook status updates. But, since I'm listening to scores and soundtracks all the time anyway, it's something I can do with a minimum of additional effort. That's good, since at the moment I'm involved in a major project at work, planning to direct a play in a couple of months, shopping for a house, and planning a wedding for the fall with my lovely fiancee.

In order to facilitate that, here are the ground rules of what you can expect from this blog:

  1. I'll be going through my catalog of film and television music in alphabetical order by album title, from A-Z.
  2. Numerical titles will be right up front, so you can expect to see 3:10 to Yuma and 2001: A Space Odyssey coming up really soon.
  3. Compilations by various artists will fall into the same order.
  4. I'm interested almost exclusively in original music for films, i.e. stuff that musicians have created exclusively for a film. Despite the title of this blog, I have never really been interested in those "Music From and Inspired by . . ." albums, which are mostly compilations of crappy pop music with little to no relationship whatsoever to what you'll hear in the movie. So, even though I own the "soundtrack" CD to Wayne's World*, I won't be writing about that.
With that said, I'm going to break Rule #3 right out of the gate, and begin with an entry for a compilation called Music in Film (National Public Radio Milestones of the Millennium). On to the next post! Follow me . . .


*It was the first CD I ever bought, when I was 13 years old. Don't judge me! And actually, that CD has more claim to being a legit "soundtrack" than some, since most of that music does actually appear prominently in the film. But I don't really have anything interesting to say about Alice Cooper's "Feed My Frankenstein."

2 comments:

  1. I'll hear no harsh words about Tia Carrere's version of "Ballroom Blitz". In my opinion, it is superior to the original. And God bless them for bringing back "Bohemian Rhapsody"!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I do appreciate Wayne and Garth for introducing me to Queen. We'll have to agree to disagree about Ballroom Blitz, though. I love the crazy Muppet voice of the original singer from The Sweet.

    ReplyDelete